STUDENT'S NAME: Aimee Harrison
TOPIC: Any Ole Bag Will Do
GENERAL PURPOSE: To Inform
To inform the audience about how teachers affected my past.
To inform the audience about how teachers affect my present.
To inform my audience about how teachers have affected my future plans.
CENTRAL IDEA: My life can be illustrated by three very different apples.
- Sources: N/A for this speech
- Visual Aids: Three apples and bag
- Attention Getting Device: "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child" (Anonymous). In my life, I have been fortunate enough to have my life touched by such people. People who selflessly give their time and effort to make a difference in a child's life, people known to the rest of the world as teachers. The effect teachers have had on me has been profound. So much so that the past, present and future aspects of my life have been affected.
- Preview: Today I am going to tell you how teachers have affected my life.
- How teachers had an impact on my life in the past
- How teachers are presently having an effect on my life
- How teachers affected my future
- This apple is symbolic of my past. The apple's color and the actual apple represent two aspects of my life.
- The apple's color represents my confusion.
- If you look at it closely, it's almost as though the apple was confused about what color it wanted to be. It couldn't decide if it wanted to be yellow or red. So in order to reach some sort of compromise the apple decided to go with the yellow and red look instead of deciding on one color.
- Like the apple, I too was confused. Only my confusion was in regards to what I wanted to do with my life. I didn't know if I wanted to be a teacher or an obstetrician. My compromise wouldn't come as easily as the apple's. I had to decide on one career or the other. However, my confusion was soon eased with the help of teachers.
- This is why the apple also represents the effect teachers have had on my life. As a child growing up, I was fortunate to have wonderful teachers. It was because of these teachers that I ultimately decided to become a teacher. I wanted to be able to touch children's lives in the same way that mine had been touched. Now that I had finally decided what I wanted to do with my life it was up to me to make it happen.
- That brings us up to the present. This apple is representative of my present life. The apple itself as well as its color and taste are symbolic of different aspects of my present life.
- Like the apple before, this apple is representative of the effect that teachers have had on my life. They influenced me to become a teacher and now that's exactly what I'm doing.
- Now, I'm sure that some, if not all, of you have tested a granny smith apple. If you have, you know that this particular kind of apple has a tart taste. This taste is symbolic of all of the sour things or downs that I have encountered as I work towards my goal. Whether it be the death of my grandmother or not enough money to pay tuition, I learned to persevere through these things and continue towards my goal.
- This main apple is symbolic of my future. It represents me finally reaching my goal of becoming a teacher as well as the teachers who influenced me so many years ago. I will have finally reached my goal. In essence, I will have attained the perfect apple because I will finally be a teacher, making a difference in children's lives.
- Summary: Today, I have told how how teachers have affected my past, present and future.
- Concluding Device: So for the rest of my life as I did in the past, I will pack my things in my school bag and head off to school each morning. Eventually, however, I will enter a school as a teacher and not a student and I will say, "one hundred years from now, it won't matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I, Aimee Harrison, was a teacher.
[ Main Page | Assignments Page | Outline Page | Topics Page ]